Whether tech-savvy or not tech-savvy, most of us own and are constantly using mobile devices – because it is convenient, easy to carry around, accessible anytime anywhere – we can always multitask on our phones and catching up with the world. Mobiles have evolved from just “calling and text messaging devices” to something we cannot live without (yes, I LITERALLY mean it, the first thing you think of before going to bed and getting up is your phone!). And while we spend a lot of time on our phones, why not “window” shopping, information searching, email checking, gaming (and many many more other activities)? With the incredible development of new technologies and consumers being attached to mobile devices, it has become essential for companies and brands to be active and creative in mobile marketing, in order to reach out to the majority of audience, promote their brand images and drive revenue.
In the tough and demanding market of mobile marketing, IKEA is one of the many companies that have really stepped up their game. The Swedish brand proved that they deserve to be the world’s largest and most popular furniture retailer, not only because of their inventive home appliance designs, but now also how user friendly they have become. Putting thought into understanding modern technologies and customer behaviors, IKEA have succeeded in introducing their mobile app which provides users virtual reality experience and also in-store shopping companion experience.
WHY ARE THEY DIFFERENT? What unique experience that the app actually brings to its customers/users?
1. Virtual reality experience
- IKEA believes this idea will become the next big thing that actually changes customers’ lives. The app provides customers virtual room setup with the actual size in real world . With the app downloaded on their mobile devices, users can visualize what their home would actually look like – they are able to alter and change the furnitures, as well as browsing the room from many different perspectives. This virtual reality app aims at convenience and preciseness – it allows users to see what products are suitable, minimize the products return and exchange rate.
- By introducing the app, IKEA also wish to encourage and inspire mobile savvy and new homeowners to become their “co-creators”, by browsing IKEA’s inventory (both online and instore) while experiencing with their virtual house design.
- This new app is a great strategy for IKEA to combine digital and physical shopping experiences. It also helps to boost sales and revenue by tailoring the app to their personal search, inserting call to action: recommending customers with new products and suggesting similar options.
2. In-store shopping companion
- With their mobile devices, customers are now able to create list of items and find their location in store, as well as check off items that have been collected. Customers can also view all the product information, along with their offers and availability.
- Everything is accessible within a finger swipe, customers are able to scan items, viewing the store map and adding, checking and editing their lists. The app makes everything very convenient and also help customers to save a fair amount of time spending in store finding items (like what they used to do).
All the apps are free to download on any mobile devices and can be in more than one language. Apart from all the benefits from the apps, IKEA also leverage their mobile marketing strategies by providing customers with free wifi in some of their stores. The company wants to create customer-centric app that support and make customers store visit experience even better.